Pages

Monday, June 10, 2013

Broke College Student

Yeah, I'm not even at school yet and I already feel like a broke college student. It will probably be ten times as worse once class begins. I will say, I will not have two tuition deposits, two housing deposits, and airline tickets to pay for once in Oahu, but I will have food, books, clothing, and the one thing that will drain my bank account the quickest: sunscreen. Seriously, I will go through probably two bottles of that stuff in a week over there.

In my attempts to be proactive, I am researching ways to make money once I am a student. Obviously, there is the option of a part-time job, something I have now and something I will also obtain during school. However, with the typical pay of $7.25 an hour, and maybe, not always, 20 hours a week, that amounts to $290 every two weeks. Eh, that's something, but it does not leave much to savings after expenses.

So then, what are my options of making extra money? There are plenty of lists: 38 ways to make cash, 50 ways college students can earn extra money, blah blah. Out of these lists, there are maybe four options I am capable - or have the patience - to actually do.

1. Selling Photos

This is a website that I have only recently heard of: Dreamstime.com
For all of those aspiring photographers, this is a site where you can upload pictures and make money when people download them. Of course, not all pictures are used. They have to meet a couple of requirements and even then, may or may not sell. But, if you take good pictures and are willing to wait, this can be a place to earn a bit of money over time.




2. Tutor

I could possibly maybe earn a bit in this area, but then again, I have very little patience for teaching others. I could teach basic Japanese and help with writing - essays in English that is - but I have found with past tutoring experiences, most only resort to that when they are forced to. I have no problem teaching when someone wants to learn, but I do have a problem when someone wants me to write their essay for them. I would love to meet someone who truly wants to learn another language or might struggle just a bit with writing, but I refuse to deal with someone who does not even want to be in school. But maybe that was more of a slacker high-schooler thing. Maybe those in college will actually appreciate those individuals who offer their time to teach others.

Hm. I went off subject a bit there. But yeah, tutoring is an option...for those with the patience to do so.


3. Mini-Seminar

This is kind of similar to tutoring in that you should enjoy people. If you have some sort of special skill then you can make a bit by teaching it in a course. So, knitting? Surfing? Dancing? There will be lots of people who want to learn new things and find a way to meet new people. This is a great way to make friends and money money money.



4. Freelance Writing

And then there is this. The one job most broke writers share on their resume. If you happen to have nice writing/editing skill, you can make a bit by freelancing. This is a helpful site in finding jobs: freelancewritinggigs.com
But, Craigslist is also an option.


And yeah, those are a couple of ways to make some money aside from a part-time job. I am sure I am only stressed about this because I have payments to make now. Once I'm there, I will not have tuition and housing junk to pay. But then again, I need to start saving money, being independent and all.

Aside from earning more money, I should probably learn to stop spending it too. I do enjoy a nice shopping trip.

Hm, maybe that is my problem. I should stop...I'll thank myself when I have several thousand saved. Who wouldn't enjoy seeing that number in their bank account?







No comments:

Post a Comment