Pages

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Delta Rae

So, I have a fantastic band to share today. The amazingly talented Delta Rae!


I happened across this group via Itunes and bought the album on a whim. I do that quite often with music and usually have awful shopper's remorse. Seriously, I have so much music from this bad habit that I cannot even keep it all on one computer. But with this group, within the first verse of the first song, I stopped what I was doing and just froze for a moment to listen.

I was in love.

I could not even listen to another group for about a week because I was so attached to this band. This was the song that started it all:



These guys have a sound that clearly shows that they are from the south, but on the same note, it is unlike any other group with the same roots. It is like a modern folk-pop sound. There are songs where you can hear gospel influences and others that seem as if they came straight from the top 40's. They have amazing harmonies. Not the plastic and simple lines that could be sung by a middle school choir, but unique vocal lines that obviously have more thought put into them aside from "Hey, this fits the chord!"

The band consists of three siblings and three friends. Four of the members take turns singing lead and the others are practically always present with harmonies.

Interesting fact, their name comes from a story the siblings' mother intended to write. It was about a girl named Delta Rae who summoned the greek gods to Earth. I would very much like to read that story, but I do not believe it was ever published. Sigh.

For those out there who like The Lumineers, Florence + The Machine, or Of Monsters and Men, I recommend taking a quick listen to the wonderful Delta Rae. For fans of Mumford and Sons, this might be a good fit for you also, but they lean on more of a pop sound than rock.

Take a listen!


Official Website:

http://www.deltarae.com/

2 comments:

  1. As I understand the situation, Laurie Hölljes finished her book during an extended visit to NC last year, and is now looking for a publisher. You may yet get your wish.

    ReplyDelete